Apply for AIP
The AIP team provides resources and support throughout your application and internship process, and participating students enroll to earn credit for academic internships. Apply the quarter prior to your internship, or sooner, and complete all steps below by the date indicated under Deadlines.
Start early!It can take 4-6 weeks, or longer, to secure an internship and complete the enrollment process.
To get started with AIP, attend an Info Session, which gives you an overview of the application process and course requirements.
Visit our "Info Sessions" page for dates and registration.
- Log into InternLink. Use your UCSD Single Sign-On username and password.
- Complete your Personal and Academic Profiles.
You must meet AIP's minimum eligibility requirements of 90 units complete and 2.5 UC GPA to access InternLink. Visiting EAP exchange students may contact AIP to request an exception.
Use AIP resources to secure an internship
- Search and apply for academic internship opportunities through AIP’s internship database, InternLink.
- Meet with the AIP counselor for your major to discuss your internship goals and search process, including how to pursue opportunities outside the InternLink database. Contact us to schedule an appointment.
- For tips on the internship search, see our Finding an Internship page.
If you are having difficulty securing an internship, contact your AIP counselor for assistance. Don't wait until the last minute!
Apply to earn credit for an internship found on your own
Every student participating in AIP works with a faculty advisor to develop a research paper or project relevant to the internship experience. See our Finding a Faculty Advisor Guide (PDF) for advice on approaching faculty to serve in this role.
You must have both an internship and a faculty advisor secured to participate in AIP, so we strongly recommend contacting faculty concurrently with your internship search. Communication majors work with an assigned faculty advisor in the Fall, Winter and Spring quarters, and may contact AIP for faculty advisor information.
Once you have secured an internship and a faculty advisor, submit your signed Learning Agreement to AIP by the posted deadline.
Create a Learning Agreement in InternLink.
- Log into InternLink and use the homepage shortcut or Profile tab to access the Learning Agreement form. (Click "Add New.")
- Provide the requested details on the internship, including supervisor contact information.
- Indicate your top three Learning Objectives for the quarter.
- Save and PRINT your Learning Agreement with the details you entered.
- Ask your Internship Supervisor to sign the printed form.
Determine your research paper/project topic
- Meet with your faculty advisor to discuss your proposed research paper/project topic.
- Make a plan with him/her regarding how you will connect over the course of the quarter, including how often.
- Indicate your agreed-upon topic on your Learning Agreement, and ask your faculty advisor to sign it.
Submit your Learning Agreement to AIP
- Submit the electronic version in InternLink using by clicking the "Submit" button.
- Turn in in the signed hard copy version to the AIP office.
AIP participants enroll in our upper-division, special studies course, AIP 197.
- Your AIP counselor will review your completed Learning Agreement in InternLink and preauthorize you to enroll via Webreg. You cannot enroll until you have been preauthorized.
- We will send you an email indicating the section in which you should enroll.
- Sign yourself up on WebReg before the University add deadline.
Students in designated majors or special programs may enroll in an internship course other than AIP 197. See Earning Credit for exceptions that apply to you.