Due to evolving University measures focused on ensuring campus safety, the Academic Internship Program office in the Teaching + Learning Commons is currently closed. The AIP team is working remotely, and are available via the VAC or email at

Please see the COVID-19 Support Page for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs

What is AIP?

The Academic Internship Program (AIP) is a credit-bearing special studies course open to undergraduate UC San Diego students in all academic disciplines. AIP provides the opportunity to earn academic credit for an internship related to your studies and professional/career goals and writing a research paper under the guidance of a UCSD Faculty Advisor.

What is the difference between AIP 97/197 and a 199?

AIP 97/197 is a fieldwork course in which students engage in an internship or fieldwork experience, which typically takes place off campus under the supervision of a professional at the host organization.  In conjunction with the internship, AIP 97/197 students work with a UCSD faculty advisor to complete a final research paper/project integrating the internship experience with scholarly work.  A 199 is an independent study course that gives you the opportunity to conduct independent research under the direct guidance of a UCSD faculty instructor. 199 credit is provided through your major department.  

Will I get paid?

Most students participating in AIP are not paid, but we do allow and encourage paid opportunities.  Unpaid internships can provide value in terms of professional development and contacts made, but must adhere to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Sometimes an organization will help pay for expenses incurred such as mileage or parking, but that is the prerogative of each individual organization.

How many times can I do AIP?

Students may do up to three AIP internships, but may not exceed a total of 16 units of AIP.

I am an international student, can I do AIP?

International students can participate in AIP as long as they meet the AIP eligibility requirements: At least 90 units and 2.5 GPA. For all paid internships and some unpaid internships, international students may be required to obtain Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or other authorization. Check with the International Students and Programs Office to ensure you have the proper work authorization based on your specific visa status. 

I am an EAP student, can I do AIP?

EAP students can participate in AIP as long as they have and maintain at least 2.5 GPA. Before you are granted access to our database, you must schedule an appointment with an AIP Counselor.  

Contact us to schedule a meeting. Note: J-1 students participating in an internship, whether paid or unpaid, on-campus or off-campus, should contact the International Students and Programs Office regarding the Academic Training application needed for employment authorization. 

AIP Application FAQs

What are the major steps/deadlines to enrolling in AIP?

I don’t meet the eligibility requirements for AIP, but I have already secured an internship. Can I apply to the program?

Please contact the AIP office via phone: 858-534-4355 or e-mail: to discuss your specific situation with an AIP Counselor. No exceptions to the eligibility requirements will be made for students not currently in good standing.

Who can serve as my faculty advisor?

Your faculty advisor must have a current UCSD teaching appointment during the quarter of your internship. Professors, Assistant Professors, and Associate Professors generally have a continuous UCSD teaching appointment and can serve as faculty advisors. A lecturer may be able to serve as a faculty advisor if his/ her teaching appointment is current during the quarter you plan to participate in AIP.

See our Finding a Faculty Advisor guide  for advice on approaching potential faculty advisors.

What should I do if I can’t find a faculty advisor?

If you are having difficulties finding a Faculty Advisor, you should contact us and schedule an appointment with your AIP Counselor. The AIP Counselor can provide suggestions, help you figure out your options and guide you through the process of how to successfully connect with a faculty advisor.

I already missed the deadline, but the internship I secured requires that I receive academic credit. Is it too late to apply?

Contact us to discuss your situation. No exceptions will be made beyond the University add deadline (Week 2).

Can I use AIP 97/197 towards my major’s elective units?

Some students can count AIP197 towards the major, but this varies by department. See our Earning Credit page as a starting point, and check with your department directly for a definitive answer.

During AIP FAQs

What if my job description changes after I begin the internship?

Please discuss the change with your Internship Supervisor/Mentor and ask him/her to email your AIP counselor with a revised description.  If you are uncomfortable with your revised job description, please contact your AIP counselor immediately.

How do I change my research paper topic?

Discuss the change with your faculty advisor and get his/her approval. Ask your faculty advisor to send an e-mail to your AIP counselor with a brief explanation of the change. Please note, you will not be able to change your research paper topic after Friday of 8th week.

What if I want to continue my internship next quarter?

Notify your AIP counselor as soon as you decide, and create a new Learning Agreement (do not overwrite the current one!). If you are going to be at the same internship site for more than a quarter, your role, responsibilities and/or project must qualitatively change each subsequent quarter, ensuring new learning and development of new skills and knowledge.  

Your revised role must be reflected on your new Learning Agreement. You cannot receive academic credit if you have been at the same internship site in any capacity for the equivalent of three or more quarters. 

What happens if I get hurt at the internship?

The University cannot and does not assume any liability for injuries, accidents, acts or omissions that occur at non-University locations.

Your internship counselor will be able to tell you whether your internship is at a non-University location. Before beginning your internship, you may also want to make sure you have health insurance either through your parents or through campus student health. 

What is the mandatory one-on-one counselor meeting regarding?

During the mandatory meeting with your AIP Counselor, you will discuss about your internship experience and progress on your research paper.

Where do I turn in my AIP Research Paper/Project?

You will submit your research paper to both your Faculty Advisor and AIP.

• Submit one copy directly to your Faculty Advisor via his/her preferred method of receipt (via e-mail or hard copy).
• Submit another copy to AIP via Canvas (formerly TritonEd) at The course will appear as "AIP 197 – Wienhausen” (AIP 97 for lower division students). For projects, you will drop off other materials that cannot be submitted online to the AIP Office. 

After AIP FAQs

Why is my grade blank on my transcript?

If you have completed all AIP requirements on time (research paper/project, internship hours, evaluations), and have a blank grade on your transcript, we may be waiting on a completed grade report from your faculty advisor, or a final evaluation from your internship supervisor.

Contact us regarding your specific situation. Have your PID ready. 

How will this course appear on my transcript?

Your transcript will read, “AIP 197: Academic Internship Program.”  When completing your final evaluation you have the opportunity to submit an additional description of a maximum of five words explaining your internship.

Simply fill out the Transcript Notation field at the time that you complete the Self Evaluation via InternLink.